Bodhi Tree – Bodhgaya India
Bodhi Tree doesn’t require any formal introduction. It is a well-known travel attraction cum pilgrimage site in Bodh Gaya. It is the historic peepal tree under which Siddhartha Gautama attained enlightenment and was known as Buddha. This place is highly frequented by the Buddhists and monks from all over India and other countries like Nepal, Thailand, Bhutan, China, and Japan.
It Is Known For:-
1) Bodhi Tree is the huge peepal tree where Siddhartha Gautama attained enlightenment
2) He meditated for several years under this tree to find out the real cause of suffering
3) The vajrashila or the throne of enlightenment is located under Bodhi Tree
4) It is a holy place and many monks and Buddhists visit this place daily
5) In the previous times, King Ashoka visited this place annually to pay homage to Buddha
6) This tree was cut down by the wife of Ashoka but it magically grew again
7) Interestingly, only the branch that used to be over Buddha’s head bears green leaves. Other branches and stems seem to be lifeless
Best Time To Visit:-
Bodhi Tree is a religious place in Bodh Gaya. There is no special time to pay a visit. The pilgrims and tourists from different countries visit here on a huge scale. Thus, every day is sacred for visiting Bodhi Tree.
Watch Out! :- Plucking the leaves or branches of the Bodhi Tree are not allowed. One should abide by the rule and religious sentiments and avoid such acts.
Reaching There :- A vast connectivity to the roadways, railways, and airways has made it convenient to reach Bodh Gaya. Many state-run buses, broad gauge trains, and flights are available to reach Bodh Gaya. Commuting within the city is done by the local transit.
Nearest Railway Station – Gaya Railway Station
Nearest Airport – Gaya Airport